Summer Studies Program
For over 30 years International Schools Consortium (iSC) has operated international schools in China and around the globe. Our newest school, Yantai Huasheng International School is hosting a four-week international service-learning program. We would like to invite you to discover a new culture and learn from veteran international educators that are investing their lives in hundreds of Chinese students, the next generation of leaders.
Come with us and experience:
- Practical international school experience as a teacher aide or tutor, helping with ESL programming
- Fulfill practicum or service-learning hours
- Introduction to Chinese Culture and History
- Exposure to the basics of Chinese language
- Meet and interact with international students and teachers in the classroom and community
- Travel to key sites in China such as: The Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, the beautiful beaches of Yantai, Qingdao, historical Chinese temples, working Chinese schools, farms, and much more
Interaction with Chinese students and teachers will be enhanced through daily Chinese language instruction with the aim of learning basic pronunciation and introductory phrases. Advanced study options are available for those who have some Chinese language background.
Students will receive a brief introduction to the Chinese people, their culture, and their history, affording a more meaningful interaction with the people around them Shandong countryside where you will be able to meet the farmers and orchardists who make up the backbone of Eastern Shandong’s agricultural economy and you will witness a way of life with roots in the many millennia of Chinese culture.
Service-learning weekend excursions:
- Qingdao, the largest and perhaps most modern city in Shandong Province. Qingdao served as the site of the 2008 Olympic Sailing competition and once represented the heart of Germany’s colonial presence in China.
- Shandong countryside where you will be able to meet the farmers and orchardists who make up the backbone of Eastern Shandong’s agricultural economy and you will witness a way of life with roots in the many millennia of Chinese culture.
This program is led by Andrew Platt, PhD (Catholic University of America), whose expertise is in the Late Antique and Medieval Church in China and Central Asia. Dr. Platt is a two-time alumnus of study abroad programs in his undergrad days and has 8 years of experience serving in China with various organizations including two years in Yantai. He serves as the Director of the Yantai International Education Center, an iSC/LDi initiated organization preparing Chinese nationals for work in the educational field. He is joined in Yantai by his wife and colleague, Annie, and his three sons, Craig, Evan, and Luke.
Timeframe: May 14 – June 9 Contact Dr. Andrew Platt for more details at Andy.Platt@ldichina.com
Costs for this program are $2,225 USD and are inclusive of all meals and housing in China. The cost does not include airfare to Beijing, visa costs, nor transportation to Yantai. These costs are estimated to be $1,700 including $1,450 for airfare and $250 for a tourist visa. Students must purchase their own travel insurance to ensure they have medical coverage for traveling.
International Schools Consortium (iSC) is a nonprofit organization that, since 1986, has offered excellent academic programs to meet the intellectual, physical, and emotional needs of students. iSC has six schools in China, one school in the UAE, and helps to support various other educational initiatives globally.
iSC is a multi-school program, enabling students and teachers to participate in system-wide programs where they can interact with others outside of their immediate school. Students compete in basketball, volleyball and soccer tournaments, as well as music and choral festivals, and Model United Nations (MUN) conventions.
- Health Insurance
- Pre-field and on-field cultural training
- Monthly Salary
- Tuition for Children
- Eligibility for paid Master's degree program when a second (2 year) contract is signed
- Language Tutoring